Saturday, December 1, 2007

Weird Tactics

Last night I was playing with some friends at Ceasar's and I ran into one of the resident annoyances that lurk around the lower stakes No Limit games. His name is Fisher and apparently his MO is to sit at a table, play for half an orbit or so, then get up and walk for almost an hour or until he is about to get picked up. Then he'll come back and sit for a few minutes, take his blind, and then get up and walk around for another ridiculously long period of time. He does this for no other purpose than to annoy the other players at the table. Last night, he was warned that he was third man walking, and even though the entire table called floor over three times to get him removed, we had no list so they wouldn't pick him up.

So he comes back to the table, sits down, and decides to start in on my friend and I. We were sitting next to each other at the table so he began commenting to the player next to him (and anyone else that would listen) that we were colluding. A few minutes later he got heads up with my friend and pushed all in for about four times the pot. As my buddy is thinking, this old guy starts heckling him. Then he looks at me and says, "What's wrong, cat got your tongue?" He continues, "Nothing to say now?" So being the calm, cool, collected, ultra-zeny chick that I am, I ask him if he'd like to take it outside right now. I told him that I was pretty sure I could take him, even without the help of my buddies. For some odd reason he pretty much stopped talking at that point.

Anyway, one of my personal pet peeves is people that try to use cheap tricks to knock other players off their game or get some kind of advantage. I mean if you can't win on the strength of your play, just lose peacefully and let the rest of us play cards.

The game itself was incredibly soft. I think I took down somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 pots on bluffs and semi-bluffs and only got caught once. Unfortunately, although I was super successful taking down medium sized pots, it seemed like everything I got involved in big pots I either failed to win my races or got sucked out on. So I ended up logging a small loss for the night, which was especially frustrating given how well I felt I was playing. Ah well...there's always tomorrow.

Until next time...remember, if your table mates annoy you, there's sometimes no substitute for a well timed bluff.

No comments: